Friday 22 August 2008

Facebook

Over the past few years, I've received emails from friends, asking me to be their Facebook friend. I hate spending time on the computer (since I spend all my working days staring at one), so I never bothered to join up. Yesterday, though, I received two requests: one from an friend I haven't spoken to for about 10 years and the other from my old high school class.

So, I went and signed up today. It's amazing how much time you can waste on that website!! I've spent about three hours, looking at photos of people I haven't spoken to for 20 years. Some look exactly the same, others I don't even recognise. Even worse: there are names I read and they mean nothing to me. It's kinda sad to think that I spent 5 years with some of these people and I can't even recall a single thing about them.

So, back to the high school thing: I found out they're planning our first class reunion, to be held in Gladstone next year. I've always wondered what makes people attend these things. Do some people attend to prove that they're not the nerd anymore, that they now meet the standard? Do others go, to re-live their youth? I always thought I'd never go back, but I'm actually genuinely interested in what everyone is doing now. Maybe it's because I've spent the last 4 years living in a country where I have no history whatsoever?

No comments: