Sunday 1 June 2008

My caduceus tattoo!!


We had Dustin's graduation ceremony a few weeks ago. As you'd expect, it's a pretty big deal. There is a black-tie graduation dinner, then two graduation ceremonies with receptions afterwards. At the graduation dinner, I wore a strapless dress, but we were running late, so I didn't have time to cover my tattoo like I normally would for this type of outing. Anyway, after the meal, the Dean of the School of Medicine stands up to give his speech. He's rambling on about something, I don't know, I was zoning out completely... when I suddenly heard him say something about a young woman who's here tonight, with a caduceus tattoo (a caduceus is that snake and staff symbol that is used to as the symbol of the medical profession). He was saying how that showed true commitment to the discipline of medicine, and while he wasn't recommending that we all go out and get tattoos, we should all show the same commitment to our profession.... As you'll have realized, he was talking about me and my dragon tattoo!! I spent the rest of the night trying to avoid him and all the people who came up to me to say, "I thought it was a dragon?"...

No comments: