Saturday 23 June 2007

Living in the South

We went to a wedding today. The bride and groom are classmates of Dustin's, and I'll call them "Jack" and "Jill". While we at the reception, we were told the very sad story of Jack's family.

Apparently, they are very faithful Southern Baptists. The mum had a revelation from God when Jack was 10 years old, that Jack should marry the child of one of their family friends. So, when Jack started dating Jill a few years ago, the family refused to acknowledge her. Apparently, they still hold the belief that Jack should marry the girl that God chose, and since he chose to marry Jill, he is defying God's will. So, the wedding was held today without a single member of Jack's family in attendance.

I can't imagine how sad he must feel. I can't imagine how his family felt when they looked at their clocks today at 11:30am, and realised that their son was now married.

Earlier in the week, I spoke to a business colleague about his experience of being black, and being married (for the last 40 years) to a white woman. I was astounded when he told me that even today, there are still parts of Augusta that they cannot go to together.

I just can't imagine holding a conviction so strongly, that it would cause me to hate like that. I just don't understand it...

No comments: